Tuesday 11 July 2017

Farewell, Ampang Park.

Malaysia's first shopping centre, Ampang Park, which has been operating since 1973, lost its appeal against MRT Corp for the acquisition of the mall for the MRT construction project. The initial plan to build the MRT lines underground and incorporate Ampang Park into its design could not be carried out. Demolition is expected to be scheduled soon. I have many fond memories of this charming old mall, and went to say goodbye to some of my favourite shopkeepers and take photos for posterity. 
 
 

 
Ampang Park has been overshadowed by its posh neighbours, Avenue K and Suria KLCC, but still manages to retain its charm, character and dignity.
 
 
 

Like many older malls, the shops are in rows and the common areas are not fully air-conditioned.
 
 
 

The best thing about older shopping malls like Ampang Park is that it is not a glass-and-chrome, hermetically-sealed, air conditioned monstrosity. Individual shops and booths are air conditioned but the common areas of the mall are not. Clever architectural features such as these round 'windows' allow for ventilation. I like to think these round 'windows' mirror the circular logo of Ampang Park.
 
 

There are two authentic Turkish restaurants in Ampang Park and this one bakes fresh simit and pogaca daily.
 
 
 

The open-air entrance to Ampang Park.
 
 
 

I shall be very sorry to say goodbye to Love Music, my favourite music store. The shop proprietor informed me that they will close down as music sales has been in decline since the introduction of music downloading. Not many people purchase CDs or records anymore. I used to come here on payday to buy a CD or two.
 
 
 

Love Music has been in business since 1974. I am very very sorry to see them go.
 
 
 

I found this banner very sad. I bought my first G-Shock from this shop, and when I was the Sports and Social Club President for MLJ back in 2002/2003, I used to buy watches for our company annual dinner lucky draws from this shop.
 
 
 

Ampang Park may be old and frumpy but it has lots of character.
 
 
 

Goodbye is such a difficult word to say, Ampang Park. I wish things had been different.

No comments: