Thursday, 11 February 2010
Water Conservation Initiative
Water is precious, yet it is being wasted or poorly managed. You can help promote water conservation by sending on this meme. If you do, simply follow these rules:
1. Create a blog entry entitled "Water Conservation Initiative".
2. Post the Water Initiative Network's Water Facts in your post.
3. List 3 things YOU will do to save water.
4. Add in the photo above, or any photo you have taken of a waterfall, river or lake.
5. End with the line: "Find out more about water conservation and good governance by joining the Water Initiative Network on Facebook! Visit us here at: Water Initiative Network!
Tag 5 or more blog/FB friends. Be sure to copy the rules, okay?
~ WATER FACTS ~
1. Of every 100 drops of water on earth, 97 are too salty to drink, 2 are locked in ice and snow, and 1 is fresh water.
2. The daily requirement for sanitation, bathing, and cooking needs, as well as for assuring survival, is about 50 litres per person.
3. Reducing shower time from 20 mins to 8 mins saves up to 360 litres of water per shower.
4. A small drip from a faucet can waste as much as 75 litres of water a day.
5. Two thirds of the water used in a home is used in the bathroom. To flush a toilet, we use up to 9 litres of water.
6. Water-efficient toilets and washing machines are good ways to save water.
7. A low-tech way to save water is to form the habit of turning on the tap to low flow and turning it off when the water is not needed.
8. Non-revenue water (i.e. stolen or wasted water) constitutes 36% of water 'used' in Selangor, Malaysia, and this raises the cost of water for everyone.
9. Water supply infrastructure cost billions of ringgit. This money could be spent in more useful ways.
10. Large areas of forests are cleared to make way for water supply dams to accommodate our soaring demand for water. These forests and their wildlife represent our natural heritage.
~ 3 THINGS I WILL DO TO SAVE WATER~
1. It takes 3 litres of water to process and produce 1 litre of bottled drinking water. I will therefore stop buying bottled drinks and will bring my own drinking water from home.
2. I will install a rainwater harvesting system in my new home.
3. I will install dual-flush toilets when I need to replace my existing ones.
~ I AM TAGGING: ~
3. Paus Biru
4. Terra Cin
6. Kids for Earth
8. Three Little Piks
Find out more about water conservation and good governance by joining the Water Initiative Network on Facebook! Visit us here at: